Total Pageviews

Monday, 21 May 2012

Antiques, Interiors, on and off the High Street, in the south of England


Welcome


Monday morning and full of enthusiasm
 for a brand new week.

I was hoping to build up a directory of antique, decorative furniture
 and interesting interiors stores,
 both on and off the 
high streets, 
along the south of England.



I hope to be finding new and interesting haunts for the intrepid 

trade and private buyer alike.
    
If you have an antique, decorative furniture or interiors business and you would be happy for us to post details, 
please do get in touch.


If you trade from a more difficult to find location,you might like us to post details,
paying special attention to directions and contact details.

It would be great to be able to build 
up an interesting list of shops & warehouses and put a small book together.


this is Arundel Eccentrics and a write up that appeared last year
in
BBC Homes & Antiques magazine

Oh that reminds me . look out for a few of our pieces in September's
House and Garden Magazine..
Exciting stuff hey? 

Arundel Eccentrics




Arundel Eccentrics, The Old Brewery
Building, 2a Fitzalan Road, Arundel.
07973 968446;


Brenda Nassarian’s business maybe just off the high street in
Arundel, but entering her showroom,
in the former Swallow brewery, is
like stepping into a different world.
Americans in particular can’t believe it
when they see the cobbled floors and the
higgledy piggeldy layout – but they seem
to love it. 
Of course, they’re not just talking
about the premises, but rather Brenda’s
eclectic mix of flower pots, tables, chests
of drawers, watering cans and screens,
all decorated with quirky decoupage,
from fish and flowers, to shells, fruit
and figures. ‘Most of them are Victorian
images, but I use other things too if they
catch my eye - parts of old maps, musical
scores – I even created a seagull the other
day by photographing a wooden model
on a stick I have in the workshop.’
The hunting grounds for her raw
materials are auctions, car boot sales and
Ardingly antiques fair (where she also
sells). ‘I look for pieces that are battered
but still sound,’ she says. Once selected,
each piece then goes through a lengthy
process of cleaning, re-covering with
new ply (when necessary), painting,
crackle-glazing, d├ęcoupaging and, finally,
varnishing. An extra-special piece might
be gilded, too.
‘I do consider myself to be green, and
this is a really good form of recycling. I
love the fact that I can buy something
that looks like junk and transform it into
something beautiful. It’s nice to think
that what I’m doing could keep it going
for another hundred years.
  editorial in
BBC Homes and Antiques Magazine
April 2011


You kind of cringe when you see it in print,
but any publicity is great.


 This the very first phone call I had after the article was published.


the blog post I wrote at the time..


The article in BBC Homes and Antique is out and after much excitement my end, I received the first phone call.
I was all of a doo dah in anticipation of an order/ a sale/ a good enquiry

" Hello Dahling" said the woman's creamy voice
" I'm sorry do I know you?" was my reply
" No, my dear, but I've just seen your lovely write up in the magazine......



thinks..."she sounds keen and as if she has money to spend"


".......and, dahling, I was wondering where you got your sweater from?"


GUTTED!!!


Well, in case anyone else out there is thinking for one second of raising my hopes and needlessely getting me all excited

TRICOT (dahling)
 Tarrant Street
Arundel 


(sadly, after 18 years in Arundel... Tricot has now closed.)





Have a great day

www.arundeleccentrics.com


Post a Comment