Nass, MS, Catie Ross, The Brain Tumour Charity and the Arundel 10K

My husband is amazing.

Sometimes I tell him so.
But mostly in an exasperated derogatory tone.

Joker that he is.

You know what I mean?
" My God! You are truly amazing!"
As you look on stunned at his latest antics.


But mostly I'm in awe.
Don't you ever tell him I said so.


A few years ago Nass was diagnosed with MS.
Not great when you love sport.

I met him 27 years ago when he was my sons young sports teacher.
Lucky ole me.
I was going through a divorce.
It took the edge off that very nicely, thank you.

Nass taught  and loved all sports,
favouring football and rugby.
He was  a brilliant boxer.
Ran regularly.
Played cricket for Slindon village and Arundel Castle.

So when he was diagnosed we felt our lives were falling apart.

What mostly annoyed him at the time
was he only went to the docs for a corn on his toe.

While he was there he mentioned he kept leaning to one side as he walked.
I asked him to as he tripped me up if we were out walking together.
He kept wandering across my path.


Months of tests followed.

When the diagnosis came we were both shell shocked.
For a long time we couldn't think straight.

Then one evening Nass announced,
"Hmmm. I'm not taking this lying down."
"What do you mean?"

"I'm going to sign up for the Brighton Marathon. For the Chestnut Tree."
(The children's hospice just outside Arundel)

I sighed and worried.
He signed up.
Did a little training.

And  ran it.








Raised a lot of money.

The following year came round.
"What shall I do this year?"

I looked at him.
" Your legs aren't great."

He shrugged.

"Then I'll cycle."


Nass had never cycled in his life.
He bought a bike three weeks before 
The London to Brighton Cycle Ride.

As he took it out the car, all shiny and new, I asked,
"So where will you train?"
" I'll give it a go now."

He wobbled down Fitzalan Road while I put my head in my hands.

A week before the big ride he had done a few trips to 
The Black Rabbit and back.
That would be around 3 miles tops.

I went away with friends.
Been planned for a long time.
Marrakesh.
It was good for my nerves.
I received emails from Arundel friends.

" We know Nass must be training hard....as he left The White Hart before dark last night."
This did not bode well.

But again, I hadn't counted on his sheer determination.
56 miles he cycled.
For The Chestnut Tree and Brain Tumour Charity.

Nass and our lovely friend Amy who cycled with him.

He was so not tuned into cycling he 
was the only person not wearing a helmet.

 never even occurred to him.


I wept as he came over the finishing line.
How could I ever have doubted.

He took a year or two off

Well, off the sporty stuff.
We organised a dance/ auction/supper
 charity event at Arundel football club.
Hard work but fun.
Raised a lot of cash for
The Brain Tumour Charity
& The Chestnut Tree
 thanks to all the friends who helped and supported the event.



I thought that might be the the end of it.
But no.
When Nass is touched by a story he wants to do something about it.
However hard it might be for him.


Along Came Catie Ross


We have an antiques warehouse in Arundel.
And several US clients who visit, once, maybe twice a year.

One of them has, in their life, the gorgeous Catie Ross.
The more we heard about this baby the more it touched us.
And Nass in particular.

In and out of hospital since birth.
She is one brave little girl.




Nass wants to raise some money for Catie Ross.

So her family can give her a little treat among all the hospital visits.

He also wants to raise more money for 
The Brain Tumour Charity


Brain tumour has touched many of our friends.
Some have come through.
Sadly, many have not.


The Arundel 10K

During the Arundel festival in August we have the 10K run.
It's up and down all the hills within the Arundel park.

I'm told its not the easiest.
What do I know? I'm not a runner.
I like to walk over those hills with an audible book plugged into my headphones.

Well, Nass is determined he wants run it.

Even if he winds up walking the last few K.

I worry his legs will let him down.
That he will fall, as he sometimes does.
And not get up.


Nass says Catie Ross and The Brain Tumour Charity are special.

He just says he will do it.

So he will.

Please sponsor him.
However small, it all helps.

Here are the links
Catie Ross Gorgeous Girl


and
The Brain Tumour Charity

Brain Tumour Charity



Thanks so much for reading
Have a wonderful day













Comments

Popular Posts