Looking forward to Spring and Chelsea Flower show...and a couple of old Valentines Stories.

Good Morning
from
Arundel Eccentrics


Nothing much to do with Arundel.

Actually, nothing much to do with Antiques.


Just a few bunches of flowers to remind us that Spring isn't too far around the corner







Oh! something nice to remind us Spring,

might just be here very soon

Chelsea Flower Show..

 Have you ever been??

I was lucky enough to get some 
complimentary tickets 
a couple of years running,
 from an antique dealer buddie, 
who used to have a stand there.

If you have never been, its well worth a trip.






 All these photos, I took at Chelsea Flower show.

That's why the flowers look so absolutely perfect
I would like to say they were all from my garden , but they aren't.


If you are a visitor to the UK, its well worth trying to go.


Well, if you are not a visitor, it's still worth going.

Tickets are not cheap.

Queues are extraordinarily long.

The crowds will jostle you,

your feet will ache...

But, the ambience of the place.
The ideas you will go home with.

The memories of an idyllic day,
 in a such a  very English setting.

Oh! I can taste the Pimms already........... 













you might see a few celebrities and  TV cameras 
 My mate Allie and I have been a couple of times and
we take a little packed lunch to go with the Pimms on the lawn dahling...











Trust me in this
you will, without a shadow of doubt
return home to your garden, 
be it several acres 
or a small patio,
 or tiny balcony....
absolutely brimming with enthusiasm and ideas.


My lovely neighbour and friend,

 goes most years
and bless her heart says she 
will take me, as a treat, this year.


Friends.....

what would we do without them?
I guess that's why Facebook 
is such a phenomenon.




Valentines Day

My husband Nass, is, 
although he would argue 
to the contrary,
 a true romantic.

Not that we always celebrate Valentines, 
but some years we do.

On one occasion, our favourite restaurant, 
Paperdelle's, in Arundel High Street
 was completely booked solid. 

The restaurant is now owned by Clive, 
Bruno's son, and has spread 
beautifully to the lovely 
Osteria downstairs.

In those days, it was just the upstairs.
Which is still going strong, I might add.

Beautiful,very Italian, 
fairly small,
 gorgeously intimate,
and it booked up very quickly.

On this special evening,
Nass had a quiet word with Bruno, 
who was a friend of his.


They lugged a small table down 
into the middle of Arundel High Street, 
and parked it next to the bench right in the middle.

There we sat, complete with 
candles, wine, and waitress.

I felt a little self conscious to start,
but a couple of glasses of Italian wine
quickly saw off those inhibitions. Ha Ha 

We were  well wrapped up 
against the cold, of course.

It was
a pretty memorable evening.


One other Valentines day, 
I was working as a vegetarian chef 
at West Dean College.

Ever been?

Actually, all irrelevant to the story, 
but as well as being in the most stunning location
and having the most fascinating history attached to it,
( check it out...Salvador Dali , was a regular visitor)

 they also have the most beautiful
 Victorian Gardens there.

I used to work with Eric, the head chef, 
and we would regularly trundle over to the gardens,
 early in the mornings, 
and pick produce that would go
 in to my veggie dish of the day.


It's the most wonderful place to visit, or study, or work
and after many years I still feel a pang of nostalgia
when I think of the place.

Anyway, the reason I mentioned 
it is the long catering hours, 
split shifts,
long drive,
twice a day,
 so I would return home, 
late and extremely tired.

On this particular Valentine's evening,
Nass had prepared a meal  ready for
when I arrived home.

Well, it smelled so.
The table was laid ready,
my son, Jay was ready to wait on table.


I was exhausted, but when Nass suggested 
going for a drink before dinner, 
 I thought I should,
 as he had gone to so much trouble.

He suggested going to see his friend Bruno, 
who owned Paperdelles, 
in Arundel High Street
 for a glass of vino.

I argued they would be busy and booked solid.
No...he was determined.
So..we went and he suggested we sat in the corner table, with a 
"RESERVED"
 sign on it.

"We can't sit there, its reserved"

" Yes we can, I reserved it"

"Well, what about the dinner at home?"

"I just fried onions to make it smell"


The aperitif was ordered and arrived, 
brought by a chuckling Bruno.

Then, I noticed in the middle of the table
 a beautiful, small, heart shaped box.

On opening it, there were the most stunning,
hand made chocolates, inside.


Now, I KNOW what you are thinking,
because I thought the same!
Valentines day, all this romance and organisation.

After dinner, I munched my way through ALL those choccies, 
which is something I NEVER do.
No, no, really, I am a one at a time
one a day....
 ..savour it..person

Not a ring in sight!
Nass laughed like a drain,
(whatever that means)

" You thought there was a ring in there"

" No, I didn't"

We DID eventually get engaged.

Just not that night.

Apart from that one minor detail
 and the gross feeling of 
nausea after all 
those chocolates,
it was the perfect
Valentines Night out. Ha Ha



SPRING AND SUMMER...Just around the corner



So what of today?

I have one of these fish chests of drawers to finish.



............and some Victorian Bamboo to finish work on.

It's been a busy week, and stocks are beginning to look a little depleted.







........and I must tell you about our new neighbour at the warehouse,
he is gradually filling his space with some 
interesting looking vintage and antique  pieces.

We are planning a joint open evening in the Spring,
and some events throughout the summer. 
Anyway, I will muscle my way in there with 
my trusty camera over the next few days
and give you a sneaky private view.

I hope you have a great day


 web:




Comments

Popular Posts